How to Unplug on Your Summer Vacation
It’s a yearly tradition in our family. We pack up our camping gear and make one last frantic run through the local grocery store before we head into High Sierra Music Festival. Bring your sleeping bag and join our family to disconnect from your 9-5 responsibilities. Oh, and don’t worry about bringing your phone; you won’t need it out here.
I treasure this annual chance to disconnect, but I also understand the hesitation to do so. The business world is more connected than ever before. I know the feeling of not wanting to miss a thing, especially with how face-paced today’s work world can be – “What if I miss a cool marketing opportunity with my team?” It’s like work FOMO.
But the technology that tempts us to constantly connect also gives us the freedom to take a break:
- Collaboration tools mean that I can trust my team to jump on any time-sensitive opportunities without missing a beat.
- With the right tools, everything will be waiting for you when you return. Your teams can record meetings with WebEx so you can jump in without missing a beat.
- With Cisco Spark, everything you need to catch up is in one place. Find where you left off and scroll down – it’s that easy to get up to speed.
It might seem like even if you can step away from work, your mind will always be at the office. Check out these tips to overcome the temptation to take the worries of work with you.
Before you go:
- Communicate with your team. Let them know when you’ll be heading out and getting back.
- Recap and fill your teams in on the status of your projects.
- Leave contact information to connect people who may need to find the right resource.
- Make a note about your trip in the Cisco Spark space associated with those campaigns. It’ll be easy to pick up where you left off.
- Set your ‘out of office’ in email and in Cisco Spark. Be sure to include when you’ll return and a contact to answer any immediate questions.
When you get back:
- Block off an hour of time to get caught up. Reserve time on your own calendar to read emails, scroll through Cisco Spark, and watch any recorded WebEx meetings.
- Connect with your teams for any high priority messages.
- Let your Cisco Spark spaces know you’re back and catching up. Use this time to ease back into work.
- Keep your vacation photos handy! Take breaks during the day to remember the great times with your family.
Being able to relax, recharge and get a new perspective is going to help you a lot more than chiming in on small things during your time off. Be brave and don’t check email; maybe even turn off your phone!
Enjoy the show, enjoy the music. You literally earned it.
May 04, 2018 — Webex Team