As remote work has taken off and online meetings have replaced many in-person gatherings, effective collaboration now depends more heavily than ever on having the right software in place.
The best audio and video conferencing solutions allow for in-depth, real-time collaboration, with functionality that extends far beyond simply being able to speak with and see the other participants in a meeting.
Most importantly, they include screen sharing capabilities that enable attendees to show their entire screen or just a particular tab or window. Screen sharing is an integral part of video conferencing software and an important component of remote work, which grew 159% between 2005 and 2019.
Let’s dive deeper into screen sharing’s importance with some statistics.
21 Screen sharing statistics
Screen sharing intuitiveness statistics
When screen sharing is easy to use, it helps video calls proceed more smoothly, with less time lost trying to ensure everyone’s on the same page.
1) More than 50% of video conferencing participants spend at least 10 minutes or more on meeting setup, for example by having to tell everyone to open a specific document, or not knowing how to enable screen sharing. (Source)
2) Annually, organizations lose as much as $34 billion in productivity due to those sorts of problems related to starting and conducting online meetings. Screen sharing could help address this issue by letting everyone focus on the same asset and avoid crosstalk. (Source)
3) 67% of employees say they’re more likely to contribute to a video conference with interactive features like screen sharing than they would on an audio-only call. Anyone can share their screen, given the right permissions. (Source)
4) Similarly, 40% of companies feel like video conferencing makes their employees feel more engaged. These organizations use it most commonly for one on ones (80%), standups (78%) and large meetings (77%), all situations in which a screen sharing could support coordinate training, review, demos, and more. (Source)
Screen sharing statistics for online meetings
Screen sharing is vital to modern online meetings, providing more collaboration opportunities whether by sharing a slide deck or walking people through a workflow.
5) 89% of employees feel like an online meeting with video and screen sharing reduces the time it takes to complete projects. (Source)
6) Online meetings with screen share functionality are most often joined from laptops (77% of participants) and phones (31%). The leading screen share solutions support sharing from any device, although larger screens usually work best for complex demos. (Source)
7) Almost 90% of organizations are conducting virtual interviews instead of in-person ones per Gartner. Screen sharing is a common way to test an interviewee’s skills on the fly — for instance, by having them write code or work through a problem. (Source)
8) To reliably share your screen during an online meeting that also has video and audio, you will ideally have at least 1 Mbps of bandwidth available both upstream and downstream. Faster connections will provide less jitter, latency, and packet loss. (Source)
Screen sharing statistics for in-depth demos and webinars
A screen share is a perfect way to walk a customer through a product demo or a webinar.
9) Over 70% of B2B marketers believe that webinars, many of which include screen shares as a way to demo a product’s key features step by step, are the easiest way to generate high-quality leads. (Source)
10) 92% of webinar attendees prefer to have a Q&A session at the end of the event, a process that can be greatly enhanced by screen sharing to provide an in-depth answer supported by a practical real-time demo. (Source)
11) Almost 60% of webinar hosts use a combination of live and pre-recorded video, including screen shares and video feeds, to make their presentations more engaging. (Source)
12) 95% of companies are exploring fresh strategies to engage their customers as a result of COVID-19, and 92% are implementing changes across digital channels, such as screen share-enhanced webinars and videos. (Source)
Screen sharing statistics for remote training
As remote work becomes more common, screen sharing plays a critical function in enabling real-time collaboration that simulates what it’s like to be in the same room looking at the same document or presentation:
13) Almost half of all webinars are for employee onboarding and training, which often include screen shares to show workers how a certain system works or to walk through a key document. (Source)
14) 89% of organizations offer webinar-based trainings with integrated screen shares and feel as though they can easily scale these types of programs across their target audiences. (Source)
15) Over 60% of executives think video conferencing and screen sharing improve the quality of communication and 50% think these technologies enhance understanding, which is vital during onboarding and training. (Source)
16) Only 33% of companies had a remote onboarding strategy in place as of September 2020. This low number illustrates how much room there still is for growth of screen sharing solutions, which accelerate onboarding by enabling anytime/anywhere training. (Source)
Screen sharing statistics for team collaboration
Above all, screen sharing is a way to collaborate better from any device or location:
17) Almost 90% of remote workers feel like they’re more connected to teams and projects when they use features like screen sharing and video conferencing. (Source)
18) 94% of companies say that access to video conferencing solutions with functionality like screen sharing enables increased productivity. (Source)
19) Nearly 75% of professionals expect remote work to become the new normal at their workplaces, meaning that screen sharing will be front and center in how they collaborate, taking the place of physical conference rooms. (Source)
20) More than 50% of professionals have taken a video call or conducted a screen share from a home office and 33% have done so from a coworking space. (Source)
Screen sharing growth statistics
The future is bright for screen sharing:
21) Video conferencing solutions, which incorporate screen sharing, are projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate of 9.9% from 2020 to 2027. (Source)
Screen sharing is here to stay. Via screen shares, solutions like Webex enable new modes of collaboration that don’t depend on traditional offices or on tools like email and phone calls, which unlock higher productivity for employees.
Screen sharing is an essential part of remote work. Learn more by getting started with a free trial today
Still need help?
What would you like to do?Read more