Remote work is on the rise. With growing need to stay in touch with and manage distributed workforces, organizations have greatly ramped their use of video conferencing solutions. This trend is clearly reflected in recent video conferencing statistics.
As remote work has expanded, so has company investment in video conferencing software to support effective meetings and collaboration:
1) There was a 500% increase in search impressions for web and video conferencing software in the first four months of the COVID-19 pandemic, per TrustRadius. (Source)
2) 60% of respondents to an Owl Labs survey reported participating in video meetings more often in 2020 than in 2019. That’s a bigger rise than reported for other workplace staples like email (50%). (Source)
3) A Boston Consulting Group survey found that 75% of respondents felt like they had maintained or increased their productivity after going remote. This trend is in part due to the convenience and efficiency of virtual conference rooms and video calls. (Source)
4) Per Buffer, 44% of employees say that at least some members of their teams now work remotely full time. Video conferencing enables the real-time, in-depth collaboration necessary for sustaining extended remote work. (Source).
5) 50% of people told Owl Labs that they will not return to jobs that don’t offer remote work options post-COVID-19, underscoring the importance of investing in the software and hardware necessary for holding virtual meetings with numerous participants. (Source)
6) Almost 80% of video conferencing participants join from a laptop or desktop computer, with phones and dedicated conferencing equipment the next most popular options. Tablets are less commonly used for remote collaboration and meetings. (Source)
Video conferencing software provides the perfect platform for employee collaboration that boosts engagement and productivity.
7) 77% of remote workers say they are more productive when they work from home, according to CoSo Cloud. Fewer distractions plus the ability to interact with colleagues and clients via video conferencing software help explain this feeling. (Source)
8) Remote work is so good for focus that 76% of people say they avoid the office entirely (if possible) when they have something important to finish, according to Atlassian. (Source)
9) Over 80% of workers also say that remote work, with web conferencing software and video conferencing solutions for real-time communication, has increased their job satisfaction, per Velocity Global. The right video conferencing platform for collaboration helps strike a balance between productivity and happiness. (Source)
10) Buffer found that a majority (59%) of companies are within 2 to 5 time zones, which is a range that lends itself well to synchronous collaboration via video and web conferencing for real-time meetings. Asynchronous modes of communication like messages and email can fill in the gaps. (Source)
11) The same report revealed that having a flexible schedule (36% of respondents) was the most cited benefit of working remotely in the wake of COVID-19, followed by the ability to work from any location (26%) thanks to technologies like virtual conference rooms and web conferencing software. (Source)
Video conferencing technology isn’t just good for employee morale and retention — it’s also a time and money saver for their employers.
12) Businesses save an average of $11,000 per half-time telecommuter per year, according to Global Workplace Analytics. The savings come mainly from reduced real estate footprints, higher productivity, and lower absenteeism and turnover. (Source)
13) The growth of video calls and web conferencing has made a lot of business travel nonessential, with 43% of frequent business travelers telling Oliver Wyman they expect to travel less even after the COVID-19 pandemic. That reduction represents big savings in company budgets (Source)
14) Nearly 9 in 10 employees state that video conferences reduce the time it takes to complete their projects, resulting in operational savings thanks to more efficient collaboration. (Source)
15) Companies that support remote work through solutions such as web conferencing see 25% less employee turnover and associated replacement costs, per Owl Labs. Considering it costs an average of $15,000 to replace just one person according to the Work Institute, turnover reduction is one of the best cost reduction strategies. (Source, Source)
Video calls won’t be going away any time soon, despite companies eyeing “return to the office” initiatives. Remote work is here to stay, and a distributed workforce will continue to need robust, dependable video conferencing software to support collaboration.
16) Global Video Conferencing Market Analysis noted that the video conferencing market was already on a high growth trajectory pre-pandemic, and has been forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.1% between 2018 to 2023. (Source)
17) Global Market Insights now predicts CAGR growth of 19% between 2020 and 2026, reaching a value projection of $50 billion USD by 2026. (Source)
18) According to UpWork, almost one-quarter (22%) of the U.S. workforce, or over 36 million people, will work remotely by 2025. (Source)
The future of work will be remote, at least in part.
While many employees will undoubtedly return to office environments post-pandemic, the benefits of remote work are becoming clearer all the time. Tools such as video conferencing software enable employees to collaborate in real time without sacrificing productivity. On the contrary, video calls and web conferencing can make their users even more effective at, and satisfied with, their jobs.
Video conference is an essential part of remote work. Learn more by getting started with a free trial today
Virtual backgrounds to inspire remote work culture: the Cisco Webex artist series
How to quickly create a company culture in a growing business
Screen sharing how-to-guide: Tips for better real-time collaboration
Still need help?
What would you like to do?
Learn more about web meetings and video conferencing.
Visit our home page or contact us directly for assistance.
From its primitive origins to the latest breakthroughs, every technology has its key milestones. Here’s…
Today, we are proud to announce that Webex by Cisco has achieved the Swiss Digital…
Building on the long-standing partnership with Cisco, VQ Communications has spent time and effort investing…
Events and webinars share similar goals — to inform, inspire, and build meaningful connections —…
CX Today, the leading publication in customer experience technology news, has revealed the winners of…
As customers, we each have a vision in our minds that represents the best customer…