Webex Announces Industry-First Sustainability Innovations
Sustainability is no longer simply a buzzword or a nice-to-have; it is a business imperative. With gaps between science and policy in some regions, CEOs and organizations see opportunities for businesses to play a bigger role in sustainability initiatives. They realize that being environmentally responsible can help companies’ bottom line – creating jobs, stimulating economic growth, and staying ahead of the competition – and contribute to protecting our world. It’s not only the right thing to do for our planet; it’s the right thing for business.Carbon Emissions Sustainability Goals
Creating a sustainable environment is core to Cisco’s mission to power an inclusive future for all. As such, I’m extremely excited to unveil an industry-first solution to help organizations meet their sustainability goals with the new Carbon Emissions Insights widget in Webex Control Hub coming summer of 2023.
This innovative tool provides actionable visibility to an organization’s carbon footprint to optimize energy consumption with Cisco Collaboration Devices.
A first of its kind in the collaboration industry and part of Cisco’s goal to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) by 2040, the Carbon Emissions Insights widget in the Webex Control Hub will allow companies to see estimated carbon emissions of Webex devices and their usage.
We’re putting the knowledge and ability to track carbon emissions into the hands of our customers – all in an easy-to-use dashboard, making it easy to see the impact they are making and act to further reduce their carbon footprint.
Key features include:
- Report estimated carbon emissions of Webex devices and their usage based on standardized formulas from agencies like the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Use these estimates to inform decisions on how to reduce energy usage.
- Guide customers to enable features like Webex’s Office Hours so that their devices remain idle during off hours, reducing their energy usage. Office Hours is a new feature in Webex Control Hub that allows administrators to turn off always-on features such as digital signage and automatic wakeups for a set amount of time – saving energy and extending the lifetime of screens.
We’ve also focused on ensuring sustainability throughout our entire suite of Cisco Collaboration Devices, with Cisco-wide refresh, recycling, and takeback programs to support a more circular economy. We incorporate sustainable design, with packaging and unit design that reduces the consumption of materials and increases the potential for recycling. And, of course, energy efficiency is paramount, building devices that consume less energy and have smart power modes.
In fact, we are proud to announce that our Webex Cloud Data Centers in Europe are powered by 100% renewable energy. This is a significant step in our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint and promote a sustainable future.
At Cisco, we also understand the importance of data security and privacy. We believe privacy is a fundamental human right, and we are committed to offering organizations security and privacy options that make sense for our customers. That is why we offer full data residency in our Frankfurt and Amsterdam data centers, giving administrators the ability to choose where their organization’s data is stored using the Webex Control Hub admin dashboard.
These are just a few examples of our commitment to having a positive impact on the environment and keeping our customers’ data safe. Visit the Webex and Hybrid Workspaces in the World of Solutions at Cisco Live Amsterdam to learn more!
- Cisco’s commitment to sustainability
- 3 Webex Room Bar enhancements for a sustainable future
- Work, made better: Webex devices for hybrid work
- Your guide to sensors and analytics in Webex Devices
Mar 27, 2023 — Snorre Kjesbu